Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tikka Turkey Wraps




Tonight's dinner was probably my favorite dinner ever!  It was like a flavor explosion in my mouth.  Seriously.  I am still dumbfounded by it, and I really have no idea where to start.

So let me describe to you this deliciousness that I concocted.  It started out as a plain turkey burger, but then I had to add some feta cheese to the patties.  But then I remembered that I wanted to use the leftover tikka I had made earlier in the week.  So I added coriander, cumin, and turmeric powder to the patties.  I wrapped up the patties with a healthy dose of salt and pepper.  Now let me tell you, the flavor didn't end there...

What did I spread the tikka on?  I slathered that delectible sauce all over the outside of one of my pitas.  Yes.  The outside.  Here's why:  I wanted to make the dish resemble a hamburger, and sliding a patty inside the pita just didn't seem hamburgery to me.  So I decided to fold the pita instead.  Hence, the spreading of the tikka on the outside of the pita.

Hamburgers always have lettuce (unless you don't like green veggies.  Then I guess there isn't any lettuce...), but unfortunately I was too lazy to go out to the grocery store to buy some.  Instead, I used the rest of the baby spinach I had chillin' in the fridge (Get it? Chillin'? Fridge?).  I dug more in the veggie bin and found I still had some potatoes left and a little red onion.  The potatoes became fries, because, lets face it, hamburgers are just no fun without fries.  The red onion was sliced up super thin and got to play in the spinach with the patties.

Once I put everything in my mouth, I literally stopped chewing and just the flavors sit on my tongue.  It was that good.  If you don't try any of the other recipes in this blog except for one, make sure this is the one!  And just to help you out, you can go here to get the tikka sauce I used for tonight's dinner.  It came from another amazing dinner I found, where else, at Epicurious.  Just don't add the sauce to the chicken.  Add it to your wrap instead!

Tikka Turkey Wrap
1 lb. ground lean turkey
2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. corriander
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/4 red onion, sliced paper thin
4 pitas, or other flatbreads of your choosing
1/3 cup tikka sauce

  1. Mix the first 7 ingredients together until just blended.  Don't over-do it unless you want really tough burgers.  Put this in the fridge and let the ingredients hang out for an hour (or longer if that's the way you roll.)
  2. Divide the turkey mixture into fourths.  Form each quarter into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
  3. Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Spray the skillet with cooking spray (turkey is so lean, it sticks to the pan) and place the patties in.  Cook the patties for 8 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for another 8 minutes on the other side.
  4. While the patties are cooking for the last 5 minutes, assemble the pitas.  Spread a thin layer of tikka sauce on each pita.  Then spread a layer of spinach leaves on top of the tikka.  Then spread the onion slices over the spinach.  Easy!  I know!
  5. Lay each patty onto one half of each pita.  Fold the other half of the pita over, and voila, tikka turkey wrap!
Easy Fries
8 medium-large red potatoes
drizzle of canola oil
garlic salt
pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees farienheit.
  2. Scrub any dirt off the potatoes under cool, running water.  Then slice the potatoes into wedges.  You should get about 8-12 wedges from each potato.
  3. Place the potato wedges into a large zip top plastic bag.  Drizzle canola oil over the potatoes and add a few shakes of garlic salt and a few grinds of pepper.  Smoosh it all around until the potatoes are completely covered.
  4. Lay the potatoes out onto a baking tray, making sure the wedges are standing up and not lying down (they get stuck to the tray if they are lazy and lay down).  Roast the potato wedges in the oven the tops of the wedges start to get crispy and brown, about 30 minutes.
  5. Take out of the over and let them cook down for about 5 minutes before you enjoy.  Serve with your favorite burger or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment